Sunday, July 17, 2005

1100 People are due tonight

So it is bat flight night again. I am tired. I need to great ready to talk to theis large group. Another ranger said it is the closest thing to being a rock start to talk in front of an audience this large. I am not much of a singer so I am sure she is right. But really the people are there to see the bats fly not me. I just hope to provide some entertainment before they sprial out of the cave.

We believe they had their babies last week. There are around 426,000 mature females and many would have give birth. The babies wont fly for another 4-6 weeks. But imagine giving birth upside down while hanging on the cieling and to something that ways 20-30% of your weight. That is like a 100 pound mother giving birth to a 20-30 pound baby!

10 comments:

mermaid said...

Amazing. You'll do just fine, if you remember to acknowledge the strong spirit within you as you speak. Interesting fact about baby bat birth weights.

gulnaz said...

wow, newfound respect for the 'bat-woman'!!!

if the babies wont fly, do they remain attached to the mums and isnt there a danger of falling?

Martin said...

wow, I would love to see them fly.

- Martin

Lorena said...

wow that's crazy, giving birth upside down. this might be a sight worth seeing, watching the bats fly. hope your speech went well and you enjoyed the fame :)

Misreflection said...

Imagine indeed, giving birth lying on your back is bad enough I'll say, hey maybe bats don't experience any pain huh? I hope so for their sakes. Good luck with your speach.Passion speaks the loudest and if thats what you have and feel towards your subject you'll do just fine. :)

TLP said...

Enjoyable post. I bet you did great.

Pecos Blue said...

After the babies are born they hang all together in the nursery. The mom's return to feed them all through the night.

it is great to see them fly--hope the picture helps.

Jamie Dawn said...

I hope your speech goes well. Even bat babies give me the creeps.

Neel said...

Did you speak already? If so, how did it go? Very interesting information on here.

Avery's mom said...

20-30% !?
i'm due August 23 and my doc says she's going to be a big one,,,i just cant imagine pushing something that heavy 'up' out of me
...They birth upside down?!
incredible