Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Fresh Eggs--get some

Have you ever thought of keeping a few chickens so you can enjoy farm-fresh eggs? Fresh eggs from birds that eat their natural diet of grass, grain and insects taste far better than the pale-yolked orbs sold in supermarkets.

Anyone can easily setup a small coop, but just be sure you choose a design that will keep the birds safe from predators and still allow them to forage on your lawn.

We have 13 chickens and 1 duck. It is great to have fresh eggs every day.

Here are 5 great reasons why you should have chickens in your backyard:

1. When hens are able to eat green plant material or yellow corn (factory farm hens are sometimes fed yellow dye to color the yolks), the beta carotene concentrates in the yolk making it dark sometimes even orange. Eating red peppers makes yolks red, and some plants can make the yolks green or even black.

2. Fresh eggs have darker colored yolks than old eggs. The bright color of the egg yolk fades as the egg ages. A pale yellow yolk and watery white mean that the egg has been sitting in storage for several weeks, or months.

3. Produced by less-stressed, free roaming hens with outdoor access means healthier for you!

4. Hens will lay eggs without the rooster, so you can have peace and quiet and chickens!

5. You can make all the egg dishes you have ever wanted!

20 comments:

tut-tut said...

Hi there! Organic is the way to go, and a friend has more eggs than she knows what to do with, so I am the happy recipient. And don't you love how deeply orange those yolks can be? No insipid grocery store pale yellow.

Thank you for coming over to my blog!

Keshi said...

wow some great info there. I love eggs but I dun think I can get mine this fresh :)

Keshi.

SaffronSaris said...

I can't believe you are so lucky to have eggs right from the hens. They taste way better than eggs from farmed hens. I'm a pathetic city person :(

Pecos Blue said...

You can often get fresh from a local farm too!

SeePearrl said...

thanks for visitin my blog ...

nice pics there :)

yes i too initially had probs sitting even for 10 mins ... but watever thoughts comes to your mind ... you shud be persistent in keeping your eyes closed and if possible you may chant "Aum" or play some tape that repeats this "Aum" with pleasant music ...i guess that can keep you motivated.

lettuce said...

lovely fresh eggs, mmmmm. My mum and dad used to keep chickens in Devon. I've never seen eggs with black or blue yolks tho!

thanks for visiting.

Paul said...

Never had eggs that fresh, sounds great. I guess all food's like that - sometimes when you first taste it fresh, you almost can't believe it's the same food!

OhTheJoys said...

Some of our close friends keep chickens here in the big city... the look on their neighbors faces when they told them the were building a coop I would have paid to see!

Priya said...

We had it when I was a kid. Not anymore:))

angela said...

Nice series of photos.
I agree about the chickens and kept them for a while. Unfortunately the fox came and took my 4 hens, there were feathers everywhere...so sad.
Thank you for your visit,
Angela

Pecos Blue said...

Angela,

That is so sad. I am sorry.


Egg abundance is great--highly recommend

The Sour Kraut said...

Thanks for stopping by.

I would love to see the green yolks.

cinnamon gurl said...

I've also read that grass-eating free range chickens lay eggs with omega-3 fatty acids... it's grain based agriculture that's screwed up our ratio of omega-3s to omega-6 fatty acids.

Pecos Blue said...

Cinnmon gurl --

That is so true.

I have never seen a green yoke either.

iamnasra said...

Thanks for the info ...I did not know that

ghee said...

thats great!really great!owning chicken and savouring fresh eggs everyday :)

happy weekend,Pecos!!

Anonymous said...

i just cant believe how ppl can be cold to animals like that :O
your photo of eggs looks way tooo good!! i should eat omlette today.
thanks for an interesting post!!

PunditMom said...

I LOVE that egg picture. It is so beautiful!

Madcap said...

AY-MEN!!! We'll have some chickens in a few months, and I'm really looking forward to it.

Nabeel said...

fun and happy summer pictures .. i liked them .. and those eggs .. how come they're not boiled or fried?