Friday, April 20, 2007

Pearl Necklace

I have been away at my grandmothers. Helping to go through the house so that we can rent it out. So strange to go through someones life and see what they have saved and held dear. Also a peek into times past and how people dressed.

We found so many gloves, many vintage hats, purses each with a mirror and a hankys.



Also some amazing jewlery that has been in our family for generations. My grandmother and grandfather were stationed in Hong Kong before World War II. Once things got dicey my grandmother was sent home and grandfater stayed behind as a Captain in the Navy. While in Hong Knog my grandfather began gathering pearls for necklace for my grandmother.




He was sent to the Phillipines where very early in the war his ship was sunk and the crew was captured. He has an amazing tale. He was a Prisoner of War for 4 and a half years.

During this time he had sewed the pearl necklace into the collar of his shirt and kept it the whole time he was a POW until he could give it to my grandmother in person. When he arrived home he met my mother, his daughter for the first time who was now 5 years old.

My grandfather and my mother right after the war.


The family a few years later.

21 comments:

ghee said...

that`s quite a story...your grandfather is an honorable and smart man.he was prisoned in the phil?ugh!war huh...

but the way he kept the pearls was too amazing!i am really touched by his tale.thanx for sharing!

angela said...

What a lovely story. Given the conditions in the camps it was a wonder he survived at all...The necklace must be a real family treasure.
Angela

lettuce said...

what wonderful family history!

PunditMom said...

Thanks for mentioning this post over at blog. Sorry I haven't been over here for a while. This is a lovely post.

I'm sorry for your loss, as well. I wish I still had my grandmother's things to go through. Unfortunately, when my grandfather passed away several years ago (my grandmother was already in the nursing home and gone mentally), all their personal property was divided among my mother and her sisters (and it was VERY contentious).

I'm so happy for you that even as you must sort through her things, that the memories of her bring you some happiness.

tut-tut said...

A wonderful story. Turn it into a short story and publish it!

It's hard to clearn out a house; when I did it, I wanted to keep every scrap.

Anonymous said...

woow your grandfather looks sooo cool in that photo :)
i wish i can have such a lovely husband!!

Priya said...

A beautiful piece indeed and lovely pictures.

Madcap said...

That's a beautiful story.

Pecos Blue said...

Ghee--thank you

Angela--it really is an amazing story

Punditmom--good to hear from you I hope all is going okay

tut tut--great idea thank you

niki--I am sure you will

Keshi said...

OMG those pics are so precious. I love old pics and accessories.

Keshi.

mystic rose said...

what a great story! loved it.

here via keshi. :)

Anil P said...

Truly a pearl of a story.

SaffronSaris said...

OMG, this is such a sweet story! I wonder if people still do such things for their loved ones. Your gramma is so lucky!

Pecos Blue said...

Thank you this touched me so much and I could not believe that I had not heard it before.

mystic rose said...

and that profile pic is just sooo precious!

is there a story with that, i wonder? i will look at ur older posts..

Lorena said...

what a sweet and touching story and i love the photographs.

wish you all the best.

ghee said...

have a great week ahead!!

Nabeel said...

love these vintage type photos .. awesome .. such a great look in these pictures.

Kim said...

Goosebumps!

What an awesome story.

SimoneladybugKnits said...

Wow what a story. Very nice family history....

Menchie said...

How nice to have all that vintage stuff.

And your grandfather in the Philippines...am sure that's an amazing story.