Friday, May 04, 2007

So many photos what do I do

I have continued going through boxes that I had sent here nearly a year ago from my mom after she passed away. It has been so hard to look at them all to see her smiling face and know that she will not be a part of my son's life like I would have liked her to be.

I have been reading old papers and looking at the family tree and learning more than I ever knew before. The pictures below were taken of my great grandfater (maternal) in 1891 when he was a boy. I thought the German outfits kind of cute and interesting.




So many photos, some I know who they are and others I do not. What do I do with all of this? I am going to try and scrapbook some of it this weekend but really there is a lot. Will my son ever want to see pictures like this, if yes, how many? Another wrinkle is that I am adopted so he will not even be related to them? I am mulling this all over in my mind and going like a yo yo on what to do.

I also have more work and will have to travel and leave my baby for the first time next week while he stays here with his papa! I have already cried about leaving. I never thought it would be so hard.

10 comments:

tut-tut said...

I had to do this in 2001, but with a sibling who made it all as difficult as it could get. I hope if you have someone to help you, that person is supportive. You are going through a lot, but it will get better. I promise!

jane said...

I lost my mum two years ago, and it constantly surprises me how fresh the pain remains. My youngest daughter will never have a memory of her, and that makes me saddest of all, I suppose.

I don't have many photographs of her but I crave them - means another trip to my dad's, I guess, and the photo albums!

PunditMom said...

We have the same dilemma, tho' we do know who most of the people are in the vintage pics. They're all on my husband's side of the family, but PunditGirl, who is adopted, is not biologically related to any of them. We decided she will get the book, as well as the bio kids in the family.

SaffronSaris said...

I can't believe you actually have such sephia-toned photos - I 've only seen them in history textbooks and in museums.

I'm sure your baby's gonna find it tough without you around too.

Priya said...

Isn't that beuatiful?? May be you shud check with your other elders at home if they know?

Nabeel said...

Oh man oh man they are such cool photos .. the antique effect is genuine .. and the photo paper looks like it was from a rich family .. great find .. you should treasure these photos.

Anonymous said...

oh my!! 1891???
we dont have such old photos :)
he looks really handsome!!!

lettuce said...

so sad about your mom, i am sorry.

we have a similar collection and dilemma about old photos - i can't part with any of them tho!

Kristen said...

What great photos. I'm no expert, but I'd guess that your son will want to keep them, whether the connection is biological or not. History is fascinating, however one is connected to it. I love looking at the old photos of my husband's family and feel related to them, even though technically, I'm not.

Kim said...

I believe that your son will definately want to enjoy the photographs when he is older.

Someone that important to you will be of definate importance to him.